Welcome to Smallpond Childcare's website!

Welcome to Smallpond Childcare's website!
We are a small childcare home that is fully licensed by the State of Alaska. We strive to provide a warm and gentle environment for small children to explore and play. We believe that the best kind of learning happens when children are involved in the rhythms of the day and are given plenty of opportunities for ownership of their activities. We look forward to days filled with laughter, singing, bread baking, dancing, outside exploration, painting, play-dough, dress up, and books...lots and lots of books!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

A gentle transition


I've been tossing around the idea of having an open house at the end of February and inviting all prospective parents and friends to a "Grand Opening" of sort. However, as much as I love a party, I think it's wiser to ease future small pondlings into things a bit more gently. That is why I'd like to invite families to come by and visit us all through-out the last week of February. I will be spending that time setting things up and getting my own kids used to the rhythm of the day and will be available for visits. If this is the first time your child has been in a daycare setting or you think they might need some extra time to adjust to the idea, I would encourage you to come by three or four times. I'd ask that you call or email me to arrange appointments and that you keep your visits short (a half hour visit should do the trick). The idea is to let them experience the space and my company without the pressure of your leaving and to (hopefully) leave them wanting more!
Transitions are often hard for small children and even with as much preparing possible, there will be days when your child simply does not want you to leave. Know that we will be supportive of both you and your child in finding the gentlest and least traumatic path.

No comments:

Post a Comment